Dating from the early 18th century, the Gardens are located on the north bank of the river Blackwater, just upstream from Lismore Castle, on grounds which slope down to the river giving magnificent views of the river itself as well as the surrounding countryside. The main features are the extensive array of rhododendrons, azaleas and camellias, many of which are large old specimens, and an interesting collection of old trees, many of North American origin. Of particular importance is the Monterey Cypress in the main lawn which has the largest girth of any tree in County Waterford. The Gardens have always been renowned for their calm and peaceful ambiance. In the early 20th century, they were described as a sight which no visitor to Lismore ever missed and were certainly enjoyed by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra during their visit to Lismore in 1906. Today this tradition continues with the Gardens offering the visitor a magnificent floral display in the most tranquil of settings.