Colclough Walled Garden
Attraction in Co. Wexford
This Georgian Walled Garden was built by the Colclough (pronounced Coke-lee) family over 200 years ago, before 1814. Restoration work by volunteers, organised by Hook Tourism, began in July 2010, after a five-year licence was signed with the garden’s owners Coillte Teoranta. The original layout of the Walled Garden has been reinstated as it was in the 1830’s. The main features of this 2.5 acre stone/brick lined Walled Garden include curved corners, two intra mural structures on the dividing brick wall which splits the garden into two sections, east (Ornamental) and west (Kitchen), and a river, crossed by 5 bridges, which flows through the length of the Walled Garden. It is situated in a verdant vale with beautiful wooded scenery filled with songbirds. Visitors pass through the quondam village of Tintern along the woodland path where bluebells and wild garlic abound in springtime. In summer beech trees cast a dappled shade until the open blue sky of the Walled Garden is reached, where Colclough eagles still fly.