Graythwaite Hall Gardens
Attraction in Cumbria
The first construction of the Hall began in 1660 and over time elevations have been added. It has been refaced several times the latest of these by Colonel Thomas Sandys in 1887. It was at this time that Thomas Mawson was commissioned to redesign the gardens in the manner they are today.His instructions were to use the existing contours of a narrow valley and to make it as labour saving as possible. The outcome was a perfect example of Mawson's ability to combine the formal with the informal whilst being set in a wooded landscape. Apart from the introduction of more recently available plants it is much as it was then. Typical of Mawson are the ballustrading to match the house, the Dutch garden with it's topiary and sundial and the Ladies Walk overlooking the Rose garden. The arboretum tocelebrate family births and the pet cemetery are more recent additions and although this is essentially a Spring garden the owners have sought toextend the period of interest by planting an extensive array of shrubs and ornamental trees.